There are more reasons than ever before to learn Spanish, the official language of Costa Rica, Spain, as well as 20 other countries. Whether you’re preparing for college or getting ready to retire, you’ll benefit from knowing this particular Romance language. Read on to find out exactly why you should learn Spanish.
1. Over 400 million people are native speakers worldwide.
With over 400 million native speakers — the precise number varies from study to study — Spanish ranks as the second most widely spoken language in the world after English. And experts are now recognizing Spanish as an unofficial second language in the US. In fact, according to the New York Post, the US now has more speakers of Spanish than Spain.
2. You can be an expert at what you do in two languages.
Organizations across the industries are hiring bilingual speakers of Spanish and English that have the expertise to carry out work in professional positions — doctors, lawyers, CEOs, diplomats, scientists, journalists — just to name a few examples. With a strong command of each language, bilingual individuals use their Spanish skills to practice their given profession and reach a broader audience.
3. Your brain will be healthier.
The scientific community has proven that the bilingual brain is a healthier brain. Even people who learn a second language when they are older may have better memories, be less likely to develop dementia, and demonstrate stronger executive functioning skills than their monolingual counterparts.
4. You’ll know the lingo when you travel.
You won’t have to rely on anybody else to ask basic questions when you’re on the road. By learning Spanish in a study abroad program like Costa Rican Language Academy (CRLA), you’ll soon be able to place your own meal orders, ask for and follow directions, and really be in control of your environment as you travel. At the same time, you’ll gain a deeper appreciation of the peoples and cultures around you.
5. You’ll form friendships all over the globe.
Mastering a second language gives you clear social advantages. Namely, you can communicate directly with members of Hispanic communities throughout the world in their native tongue. This social advantage is priceless, and helps build satisfying personal and professional networks across the globe.
If you want to form lasting friendships in Spanish, master another language, and connect with Spanish speakers from all over, come to Costa Rica and learn Spanish through CRLA. This leading Spanish total immersion program offers:
- Over 25 years experience running Spanish study abroad programs
- Customized classes and flexible schedules
- Expert instructors with degrees from top Costa Rican universities
- A unique teaching methodology with a proven track record of success
- A diverse international student body
- A homestay program with highly vetted and experienced host families
- Cultural courses, dance, cooking, volunteer opportunities, and service learning programs
- Assistance with travel plans
For more information on how you can study abroad at CRLA, please contact us.