The CRLA Medical Program was design for any Spanish student involved in the Health Care field. The main goal is that our students become familiar with medical vocabulary in Spanish and that they acquire the best tools to be able to interview patients, explain or discuss medical issues in Spanish and even be translators at clinics and/or hospitals if necessary.
Our teaching materials were design by highly experienced staff.
The text begins with two introductory modules called “Basic Vocabulary” and “Medical Interview” which provide lexical bases and dialogue examples that will facilitate communication between any doctors and his/her patients. The program has a total of eight modules divided by systems: Skeletal, Digestive, Respiratory, Nervous, Endocrine, Circulatory, Reproductive and Immune. For each system, the teacher will explain vocabulary, how the system works, common diseases that affect it and the cross examination that must be done to any patient suffering from any condition related to that specific system.
The last unit of the textbook is about the cultural importance of medicinal plants in Latin America.
- To learn medical terminology and proper applications for:
-Common processes such as disease symptoms, etiologies, sequels and therapies
-Common accidents and injuries
- To master the grammatical structure generally needed to explore and explain medical problems
- To acquire the necessary language strategies and vocabulary to interview patients and people in general about health issues
- To reinforce language skills though role-play
- To gain a general understanding of Costa Rica’s health care system
- To compare and contrast Costa Rica’s medical system with the student’s country of origin.
- To be able to apply their language skill to their everyday work: interviewing patients, translating medical information and/or diagnosing patients and medical personnel